Saturday, March 22, 2014

Getting around to it


I remember being very amused as a child when someone gave me a "round tuit". The idea being that when you had one you didn't have an excuse not to do things straight away. If only it really worked! It is so very easy to put things off, especially those things that are only done out of an interest and which don't have a real impact on daily life. Which brings me to hot cross buns.


For years each Easter I've intended to try my hand at making hot cross buns. I love them and purchase many a half dozen over the weeks leading up to Easter. I also love cooking, particularly baking, so it seems an obvious thing for me to have a go at making and yet I never have.


Today I finally did it, filling the house with delicious yeasty, spicy scents, peering under the tea towel as they rose and finally enjoying one smothered in butter.


I used this recipe from the Taste website but following the comments I doubled the spice and could potentially have tripled it. However, what resulted was delicious, fluffy, yummy hot cross buns. I don't know that they are so much better than those you can buy that they are a must make, but they are very satisfying.

And best of all, I finally got around to it!

3 comments:

  1. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embarrassing fact? Other than the song, I'm not sure I was aware hot cross buns were a real thing. Which is sad, b/c they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan you kill me. They are unbelievably delicious and people love them here to the point that they generally appear in the supermarket the first day they are open after Christmas. Next Easter you have to find and try them.

    ReplyDelete