The very lovely Kari from Bite Sized Thoughts has nominated me for a Liebster Award! The name supposedly stems from the German word for Liebster, which is dearest but I like it because it is a great way to discover some wonderful new blogs. It has 5 parts:
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 interview questions you’ve been given by the person who nominated you.
- Create 11 new questions.
- Nominate 11 bloggers and mention them in your post.
- Go and tell the person who nominated you, along with the people you’ve nominated about your post.
- Gin and Tonic is my favourite cocktail. Some may consider it unfashionable, but I love it.
- I have very brittle nails. I think this means I am not meant to do manual labour. I ripped one yesterday putting petrol in my car. Clearly I'm meant to have minions to do these things for me.
- I painted all but two rooms in my house with 4 coats of paint in less than a week once. True the only thing I did all week was paint but I did get it done.
- I feel an irrational sense of pride when things I plant grow. If I serve you something I've grown - herbs or tomatoes usually - look out because I have become the gardening goddess and will tell you all about my gardening prowess.
- I have an office with a window that opens which I consider to be the greatest luxury known to office workers.
- I was 9 (I think) before I learned to ride a bike and I'm still not very good at it.
- I look much more like my Dad but I apparently sound just like my Mum, particularly on the phone.
- I can be quite irrationally shy about things - see below where I'm too shy to pass this award on to anyone.
- I regularly forget how tall I am and am surprised when I see photographs.
- I listen to ABC talkback radio in the mornings. In my defence they have really interesting guests and are nothing like normal talkback shock jocks.
- This year I've started wearing lipstick. I've been doing it for months now and it is more and more becoming me, but I still occasionally get it on my teeth.
- If you had to limit yourself to 10 foods for one week, what would they be?
I'm assuming you mean ingredients, not a whole meal? In that case: zucchini, capsicum, chicken, pasta, pesto, tomato, cheese, museli, yogurt, pita bread.
- If you came into a large amount of money, would you keep working? If not, what would you do?
Yes definitely, I'm an extrovert so I need to be around people and I find work an important thing to keep me motivated in life. However if it was large enough that I didn't need to earn any more I would be extremely happy to volunteer my time to charity.
- What is one experience or event (big or small) that you would like to do in your lifetime?
I've ticked off quite a few things on my list of life experiences, but I would still love to attend every day of the Melbourne spring racing carnival wearing a different outfit and matching hat. Does someone want to invite me to some luxurious marque next year? Being completely honest the experience is about the hats not the horses.
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a forensic scientist for quite awhile. Not sure where this came from as it was prior to all the CSI type shows. Eventually I worked out that I totally suck at science and the rigid nature of it would bore me. I need to exercise my creativity on a daily basis!
- If you had to move from your current town / city, where would be your first choice to move to?
This one is really tricky because I love Canberra! If I had to move in Australia I would love to move somewhere small, maybe Bateman's Bay on the coast. If I had to move overseas then despite my terrible French I would probably choose a medium sized town in France. That said, I know I would be back home in no time at all.
- What was your favourite year at school, and why?
I think it would have been Grade 3. I had my favourite teacher ever, Mrs Wright. I started being a part of the Elizabethan dance group. Rolf Harris visited my class after we won the scarecrow competition. I turned 10 - double figures! I had a best friend Linda and I think pretty much life was good.
- If you could meet anyone alive today, who would you meet?
Another tricky question, there are so many great options. I think after considering all the options I would meet Billy Connolly. He is just so hilarious but also seems like a genuinely lovely person.
- If you were given a full day to yourself, no work and no commitments, how would you spend it?
I can think of loads of boring things like the fact that I really need to paint the trim on the house, but if I had a whole day and plenty of spare cash a day at a day spa appeals greatly. It has been a long year, a day of pampering would be fabulous.
- What is the best book you've read this year?
I haven't done much reading this year, but I did read "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay. It is fantastic but gut wrenching. I also read "The Hunger Game" trilogy and haven't read something so compulsively for years. It might not be great literature but it is a fantastic story.
- If you were given a plane ticket to anywhere in the world, where would it be to?
Too many options! But given that I didn't have to pay for it, I would pick an expensive destination - maybe Morocco.
- (Given my running shoe focus) - What was the last pair of shoes you bought?
A pair of black patent heels. Plain but practical. I wore my last pair till the patent actually cracked and split.
- If you are Australian have you ever told a foreigner a lie about Australia and what was it? Or if you are not Australian have you ever been told a lie (or something you think may be a lie) and what was it?
- Where in the world is Carmen Sandiago?
- Show me the cutest baby animal picture to make me go squee.
- What is the daggiest song that you should not like but you really do?
- Do you have any pierced body parts and what are they?
- Do you have a special birthday meal and if so what is it?
- What were your favourite cartoons as a kid?
- Do you have a nickname and if so what is the story behind it?
- What was the first thing you learned to cook?
- Star Wars or Star Trek? (or both or neither)
- Who on twitter or pinterest should I be following? (follow me at @LisaRobey or http://pinterest.com/blithemoments/)