Monday, January 7, 2013

Winning


When I was about 9 I won a desk lamp from the chocolate wheel at my primary school fete.  I still have that lamp.  It still sits on my home desk and works just fine, while I've been through about 5 on office desks.  I think there was something about the thrill of that moment that set me up for a life long love affair with competitions, raffles, lotteries, basically any activity that can result in winning something.

Just before the Christmas break I was having a very busy but good day.  I was plowing through the work, I had an important meeting the outcome of which has set the course for this year, and at the end of the day I got back into the office to do one last quick scan of my email when I saw it.  An email from Jigsaw, my favourite clothing brand.  "Congratulations" it said "you have won a polka dot blouse".  Needless to say I was thrilled - I had that winning buzz and I had a gorgeous new blouse.

Jigsaw clothing is invariably really well made from beautiful fabric.  Everything I have bought from there has lasted and lasted.  My gorgeous polka dot blouse is pure silk and cut with that oh so tricky floaty yet fitting style that is incredibly flattering and just perfect for this heatwave we are experiencing.

Being honest I've won quite a few things over the years, although I have to say this is one of the most exciting things I've ever won.  Thinking about it my whole family could be seen as quite lucky as between us we do manage to win a few things each year.  However I would put that down to persistence and the volume of competitions we enter rather than luck.  As they say, you have to be in it to win it and we are generally in every competition, buy all the charity lotteries and if there is a school fete in the vicinity, well you know we will have raffle tickets.

As a result it probably isn't that surprising that every now and then we come up the winner but the laws of probability do not detract from the excitement of receiving that email or phone call.  There is something so very special about winning a prize.  It is an unexpected present, yet one that has arrived through some skill (in this case writing 25 words or less) or just pure luck.  A real windfall, the kind of surprise that just magically lightens up your life.

Due to our Christmas travel it was only last week that I managed to pick up my prize parcel from the post office and so today my first day back at work seemed the ideal first wearing opportunity.  I'm on a savings kick at the moment so have avoided the sales which makes having something new to wear all that more exciting as I'm very sick of my current wardrobe.  I'm feeling like a winner all over again!

Have you won anything recently? Or won something fantastic in the past?

8 comments:

  1. I do love that floaty but fitted fabric :) And that top is gorgeous - what a fantastic prize! I feel like my wins come in little clumps, but appreciate that they are probably explained by the laws of statistics too. Still, it does great things for my mood when the clumps come along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love it if I was in for a little clump of wins, but for now I'm still completely chuffed by my lovely new blouse.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree, Jigsaw is brilliant stuff.
    Looks super fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaitlyn. I just love Jigsaw, my credit card shrinks in fear every time I go in.

      Delete
  3. That blouse is gorgeous - and I'm envious, I can't think of anything I've ever won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan you just have to enter lots and lots of competitions. I can bash out 25 words or less on any topic under the sun these days. And my Mum has a whole section of a window ledge in the kitchen where she keeps her piles of raffle tickets. We are seriously addicted.

      Delete
  4. I love Jigsaw and love that top, you look as cute as a button. Good work! I hardly ever enter competitions so I never win!! Why??! I must fix this. I never even think to enter. I am weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally have to enter everything. I think I entered every single Jigsaw competition on Facebook this year and they do a lot. Twitter was no issue for me because I'm already so good at writing in 25 words or less.

      Delete