Sunday, April 14, 2013

Moving on ... a clock radio story


When I started high school I was given a clock radio.  From then on I was responsible for getting myself up at the correct time (with only the occasional parental nudge) and out the door in time to catch the school bus.

That same clock radio has been waking me up now for over 20 years.  It seems mindboggling to me - 20 years of faithful service.  There is nothing else in my bedroom that has been with me as long, in fact there are very few things in my entire house that have been with me so long or been so reliable.  However over the last few weeks that reliability which I have depended on so dearly has been fading.  Perhalps it felt it was doing me a favour but those surprise sleep ins have not been gratefully recieved, so today I bit the bullet and bought a replacement.


The new clock radio is a funky, compact model which can also act as a charger for my phone.  Fingers crossed it is as reliable as its predecessor but I will be extremely surprised if it is as long lived.

A new shiny resident is now taking pride of place on my bedside table, but somehow I feel a little sad that I am saying goodbye to my old clock radio.  Yes it may be just an alarm clock but it has been with me for so long it will seem very strange not to have it beside my bed anymore.

Do you have anything in your life from your childhood that you still use regularly?

6 comments:

  1. I've got the same history with my clock radio. Bought it with my first grown up job pay cheque.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny isn't it how long lived they are? My partner's died just a couple of months ago and he had his for even longer than me.

      Delete
  2. I still have a little portable radio I got when I was ten that I use. It was mint green and I loved it so much I was never able to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds so funky! I love items with a history, they are so much nicer than new shiny things.

      Delete
  3. Clock radios are something that seem to have changed a lot in the last 10 - 20 years, and you have made me realise that the one I have has been going for at least 14 years! I hope it gives me another 6 years as yours did. I also hope your new model is reliable and long-lasting, although share your skepticism about the 20 year lifespan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit my new one has so many functions I've actually had to read the instruction book and I still can't work out how to get it to charge my phone without trying to play music, but it is all very exciting. Fingers crossed that yours keeps on keeping on.

      Delete