Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Recipe: Gluten Free Lemonies


Do you have a favourite flavour? Something that just the thought of gets your mouth watering and the mention of on a menu means you must choose it? I have several: vanilla, raspberry, hazelnut, cinnamon, dark chocolate. But if I had to pick a single one, it would be lemon. I love all citrus but lemon reigns supreme. I am that person who eats the lemon slices in my drink, or sucks on a lemon wedge making my mother laugh with my yellow lemon grin.

In recent weeks I've been on a lemon binge. Several of my colleagues have very productive trees so I've been bringing home bags of lemons from the office. S was a little worried how we would use them up but after I made lemon cordial, lemon bars and lemon and poppyseed drizzle cake in a single day he realised he had nothing to be concerned about.

Lemon Bars from http://www.eatliverun.com/big-sur-lemon-bars/
If all of that wasn't enough, whilst browsing the internet I discovered Averie Cook's Lemon Lemonies, a fantastic take on a blondie packed with lemon flavour and I couldn't wait to find an opportunity to make them. Luckily one popped up quite quickly but due to the participants required a gluten free version. The following recipe is largely true to the original but is gluten free and Aussie friendly.

I have found that simply substituting gluten free flour for plain does not give a good texture and is often a bit dry. Instead I use a mix of gluten free flour, rice flour and ground almonds that tastes great and gives a fantastic texture. These are definitely LEMONY, there is no mistaking the flavour but if you love lemon like I do, I'm sure you will love them.


Gluten Free Lemonies - adapted from Averie Cooks

Base
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
115g butter
2 extra large eggs (roughly 60g each)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup ground almonds

Glaze
2 cups icing sugar
about 1/3 cup lemon juice
about 1 tablespoon lemon zest

Preheat oven to 180oC (170oC fan forced). Line a 20x20 cm baking pan with baking paper and grease any corners where the baking paper doesn’t quite meet.

Melt together the white chocolate and butter. I generally do this over a double boiler as it is very easy to overheat the white chocolate and cause it to seize but you can do it in very short bursts in the microwave, stirring thoroughly in between.

Allow to cool for a minute then whisk in the eggs one at a time, followed by the sugar and lemon juice, whisking till all is combined and light and fluffy.

Fold the gluten free flour, rice flour and ground almonds into the mixture until just combined, don't overmix.

Pour mix into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly.

Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs. Leave to rest for 10-15 minutes

Meanwhile whisk icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth. The glaze should be thick but pourable which might require slightly more juice.

Pour glaze over the lemonies while still warm and in their tin. It should self level but you may need to smooth it over to the edges. Sprinkle with lemon zest (I grated it directly over).

Leave in the pan for several hours, or even overnight if you can fit your pan in an airtight container, so that the glaze sets before cutting into bars.

According to the original recipe the bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months but I doubt they will ever last that long, they are too delicious!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks like a lovely recipe, Lisa!

    I've been cooking with lemons all day too, actually!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try making these for the gluten-free needs in my family. Unfortunately, we also have a nut allergy. Any ideas what to substitute for the almond flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I'm no expert on gluten free baking but I think you could just up the gluten free flour. My only concern is it wouldn't be as moist as that is what the nuts add.

      Delete