Thursday, March 15, 2012

Autumn arriving

Every season of the year is wonderful in its own special way, but if I'm pressed I will always say that autumn is my favourite.


Summer often leaks into March in Canberra, but given we never really had a summer this year, only two weeks in and the first signs of autumn are already showing.


The days are still warm enough for short sleeves and bare legs, but the sun has lost its burning intensity and the nights are cool.


The roses are still flowering, but in that overblown, end of the season kind of way.


And while the city is still very green (in fact with all this rain far greener than it usually is at this time of year) the leaves are starting to turn.


It really is for me the season where Canberra looks its best.  All the planning for the tree lined streets has paid off as roads become glorious shows of colour. 


And it is just starting.  So be prepared for many pictures of pretty leaves and me waxing lyrical about the loveliness of an autumn day when the sky is so blue it is difficult to stay inside (really difficult to stay in the office).

What is your favourite season?  And does your city look its best at one particular time of the year?

10 comments:

  1. Although not my favourite time of the year I do have to admit that Melbourne looks its best when Autumn really hits (Summer's decided to finally visit us this week so it may be another few weeks away yet before Autumn arrives). There's something about the mix of native evergreens and imported deciduous trees with turning leaves that looks so nice together.

    Despite that, Spring is definitely my favourite time of the year, although possibly only because it means the Melbourne Winter is almost over ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spring too but it is still FREEZING in Canberra. Pretty but cold does not beat pretty and warm any day in my book! :)

      Delete
  2. What beautiful photos!

    Almost like being there.

    SSG xxx

    Sydney Shop Girl blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SSG - the wonder that is Hipstamatic on an iPhone!

      Delete
  3. I'm almost jealous of these pictures :) I was so excited about Autumn but then we had another heat wave and 40'C last weekend - definitely no signs of leaves changing or greenery yet! However, I think we're slowly getting there and I'll share in Canberra's pictures until we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily swap some warm weather Kari! But it is all rather gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. his is amusing because for me Spring is just arriving. I love both Autumn and spring equally for their temperance. There is something so wonderful about the transition of each after seasons that have felt stagnant with either heat or cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're definitely right about the gorgeousness of Canberra in Autumn.. Our trees really come into their own, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do. It makes working in Turner extra nice, all the gorgeous tree lined streets around here.

      Delete