Monday, March 5, 2012

Friends, celebration and mud

Let me paint a word picture for you (because amidst the mud and rain I forgot to take photos).

Yesterday was an exciting day, I got to see a friend who lives in the UK and who I haven't seen for 2 years, meet her baby girl and get my car towed out of a giant mud bog!

I don't remember rain like this since I was a little kid.  Weeks of showers followed by a solid week of serious rain (we had March's average rainfall on the first of March before 9am) means that Canberra and surrounds are past wet.  The rivers are flooding, roads are cut everywhere and where they are still open they are pot holed and sodden.  And the ground is wet, really, really wet.

Yesterday S and I ventured out into the sodden landscape to a welcome party for gorgeous little Bess and so that S could meet Floss.  The party was held on Floss's sister's property, which is a stunning new house set high on a hill about 20 minutes outside of Canberra.  The dirt track up the hill was running rivers, but we made it and I pulled in to park next to a line of cars.  As I stopped S remarked, "I hope we can get out of here".  "Of course we can" I said, putting the car in reverse and proceeding to spin the wheels.  As a novice bog-ee I then made matters worse by trying to go forwards again and trying to reverse again.  It was no use, by then we were axle deep.  Doh.

We jumped out of the car (jump being the word to get away from the mud) and headed into the party.  It so was lovely seeing my old friend again, she looks fantastic and Bess is just as sweet as sweet can be.  We enjoyed the company, the lovely (if rainy) views, heaps of great food including the sweetest tiny cupcakes with fondant butterflies on top - yes I know, I really should have taken some photos.  But there was that niggling picture of my lopsided car in the mud in the back of my mind.

Luckily however we were among farming folk who were prepared for such city slickers.  We discovered how to affix the tow point to my car, it was hooked up to a giant ute and I sat in the drivers seat, ready to steer and prepared to feel the straining and have mud flying.  As it turned out, the mud gave up its prize easily.  After what felt like the lightest of tugs, my car simply slid out and in no time and all I was on solid ground.

The car was seriously muddy, but the pouring rain and water covered highways had it clean by the time we got back to town.

All in all, it was a great afternoon.  I loved having the chance to see my friend and with a little extra excitement on the side, it was certainly a memorable afternoon.

6 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE reading about getting stuck in the mud! Due to all the fieldwork I've done over the years, and the fact that I worked on frogs (which like the wet) I've been bogged more times than I care to remember. The best time was when I took my teeny tiny Corolla to a new national park in western Queensland after copious amounts of rain. I discovered that as long as I kept moving (i.e. driving like I was in a rally competition) my little car skated over the top of the black clay. Alas, I was caught behind a slow-moving 4WD and promptly sunk up to the axles. I spent the night camping out on a clay pan, but was rescued the next morning by the Park Ranger in his monstrous Landcruiser. Months later, back in Brisbane, my car was involved in a rear-ender. As it was towed away, I noticed a high pile of mud on the road - remains from my outback adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that story Beth. I was convinced we would be camping there till it dried out, I was amazed at how easily the ute pulled it out - thank god! And yes, I'm sure if I got underneath, there would still be plenty of mud evidence.

      Delete
  2. This reminds me of the time my friends and I had to dig/drive her car out of the snow on a hill. I honestly thought we would die at one point. Thank heavens yours didn't get in the way of a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I had visions of shovels and being covered in mud etc. I was so grateful when the guy with the ute showed up. But it was a lovely day, even with the drama.

      Delete
  3. Oh what a day...I'm so sorry to hear about the rain and bogging (I've never been bogged either, I think I'd be hopeless!). What a welcome back to Australia for your friend!! It sounds like the social side was at least enjoyable, and I suppose that's what matters. Hopefully you'll have many more, drier, catch ups soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, my poor friend was thanking god that she had chucked a pair of tights in her bag because she had brought summer stuff! My advice on bogging, be rude and park someone in on the dry land rather than be polite and park on the questionable land!

      Delete