Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Feeling Poorly


I would love to write that the blog break of the last week was due to some fantastically exciting activity, possibly something glamorous, involving cocktails and gowns and dancing.  But the sad reality is that no, it was due to work and then a bad cold, which I generously shared with S.

Colds really do make you feel miserable.  While hardly a life and death illness, they leave you with just enough energy that you can't lie in bed all day, but enough symptoms to make you feel miserable while doing anything.

Still even when your nose is running, your head is aching, your chest wheezing, there are some things that do make you feel better.  Over the last few days I have taken great comfort in: 

Chicken Soup - yup, an oldie but a goodie.  A lovely steaming bowl of homemade chicken soup is the best cold medicine in the world.

Tea - in all its forms.  I can always tell when I'm sick because lemon, ginger, garlic (lgg) tea sweetened only with a tiny bit of honey actually tastes good.  My beloved and I spent much of the weekend making each other tea (although he refuses my lgg tea).

Slippers, track suit pants and curling on the couch under a doona with a pillow - ok, so slippers and trackies are good any time but is it just me or does a pillow from your bed on the couch = sick rest time to everyone else? Only when I'm sick does it leave the bedroom to allow me to convelece in comfort in front of ... 

Daytime television - when your brain needs something to look at but not think about, enter the strange world of daytime television.  I must say the rather large proportion of ads for funeral insurance was worrying when I was feeling particularly bad.

Cuddles - they just make you feel better.

And the thing that really keeps you going - knowing that you will feel better eventually!  And I do.  Today I'm feeling vastly better and it is so nice.  I'm still not 100%, but I actually think I might go for a walk after work - exercise I remember you!

I hope you all had a lovely and illness free weekend - particularly those of you who like me had a long weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell :( I share your thoughts exactly on colds, they come in that frustrating category of not being so sick you get to give up on day-to-day commitments (at least not the essential ones, which often seem to be the worst!) but definitely sick enough to feel a bit miserable. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and that you found some things to help ease last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there lady! How wonderful to focus on the positive things in the midst of sickness. I've been suffering from shingles for the past week, so finding happy things has been very, very important in my life.

    P.S. I add chopped chilli to the lgg too, and then eat all the bits at the end :)

    ReplyDelete