Thursday, September 13, 2012

R U OK? Day



Today is R UOK? day.  It is a day dedicated to inspiring everyone to regularly ask each other “are you ok?”  This might seem a really simple message, but ask yourself this, when did you last ask someone if they were ok?

I am actually quite a shy person.  This may come as a surprise to many, but I’m what is known as a shy extrovert.  I love being with people and get my energy that way, but I’m still actually quite shy and have had to learn to have an outgoing personality.  Doing drama at highschool was fantastic for me, it gave me a whole heap of resources which enable me to overcome my shyness to be a part of the social situations which make me happy.

However, there are still plenty of times when my shyness comes out and asking if someone is ok is one of those situations.  I find that there is something confronting for me in asking that question, almost like I’m intruding on their privacy, but those times when I have overcome my inner shyness to ask the question have invariably resulted in some really great conversations and a few times in me being able to really help someone.

R U OK? Day is a great reminder for me that this is a really important question and one I shouldn’t hesitate from asking, even when my shyness tries to get the better of me.

R U OK?
  

6 comments:

  1. I think the other point they make, that it's okay to say 'no, I'm not ok', is a really good one too. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are so right CheezyK. It is fine to say that you are not ok, in fact it can be such a relief to say it. Honest communication, it isn't easy but it is so worthy.

      Delete
  2. Honest communication - I think that's the key. People talk about communication a lot but it's the 'honest' bit or the 'genuine' bit that can lead to so much misunderstanding or isolation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, there is no point asking the question if you aren't going to stick around and listen to the answer.

      Delete
  3. I am a shy introvert so I'm very in favour of this day for those with similar personalities - and of course those with extroverted ones too, because I think even non-shy extroverts can find it hard to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Kari. I know several extroverts who have an extremely hard time asking for help. Everyone assumes if you are bubbly all must be right in your world. Very often this is not the case at all.

      Delete