Monday, July 23, 2012

The game that could add 10 years to your life

I am home.  Home, such a wonderful place.  I love to travel, to go to new places, see new and different things, but every time I travel it just makes me even happier to come to my lovely home.  The familiar and comfortable bed and pillow, the shower that is just right, having everything on hand.  It is actually kind of relaxing to just hang out, doing the washing and ironing (of which there was mountains) and cook a simple meal.  Perfect.

We are, however, horribly jet lagged.  Right now I'm powering through, but I can feel the tiredness at the back of my brain and yet I suspect I will have another night where I wake bright eyed at 1am.  This will be a long week.

So as I'm not yet firing on all cylinders, today's blog is brought to you by a TED talk.  For those of you who aren't familiar with the TED concept, it is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. It started out (in 1984) as a conference bringing together people from three worlds: Technology, Entertainment, Design.  At the TED conferences and TEDx events fascinating thinkers and doers are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18 minutes or less).  They cover every topic you can possibly imagine.  Just check the TED website to see the variety.

But the talk I want to link you to is by Jane McGonigal on the game that could add 10 years to your life.  It is about engaging in a fun way in activities that promote well being.  One of those activities is exactly what this blog is about, thinking about positive stuff.  It is a great talk, really something worth thinking about, so if you have a spare 20 minutes, I highly recommend watching it or if you don't look at some pictures of baby animals (then watch the talk so you understand why!).

http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_the_game_that_can_give_you_10_extra_years_of_life.html

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had an amazing trip. My brother-in-law lives in Denmark with his Danish girlfriend. I just loved it when we got a chance to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had such a great time in Denmark, loved everything - except the cobblestones. My poor ankles are going to take some time to forgive me. They may look quaint but they ain't good for walking.

      Delete
  2. Welcome home Lisa! I hope the jet lag goes quickly, and the joy of iron stays a long time :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I really don't mind ironing, I do it in front of the TV. I just need a new iron, ours is pathetic!

      Delete