Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pho


Much as I love Vietnamese food it wasn't until I actually went to Vietnam earlier this year that I finally had that most traditional of Vietnamese dishes - Pho.

Pho is made of a fragrant master stock which is poured over extremely thinly sliced beef (or chicken) and rice noodles.  It is served with fresh herbs and often bean shoots, fresh chilli, lime, chilli sauce and other condiments depending on the particular venue.

The bowl in the picture was my first ever bowl of Pho which I had in the night market in Ho Chi Minh City on my first night in Vietnam.  It was fantastic and it started a love affair with Pho which I enjoyed over and over again throughout my stay.

But since I got home, I haven't managed to find any pho and boy oh boy I've been missing it.  Finally, however, today I met up with some of the Vietnam travel family and we headed to the Fyshwick Markets.  We had heard a rumour of good Pho there and the rumours were correct.  Soon we had delicious steaming bowls of fantastic soup in front of us.  Oh how I have missed it and it was exactly what I needed.  I think we will be back - soon!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! OOoooh I adore pho. So good to have somewhere close by to get it to! Perfect now in Winter :) I have a major craving now hehe.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete