Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My productive garden - part 3


Look at the bounty my garden has produced.  I never get past the excitement of picking something from my garden.  It is always full of herbs, but in summer, a bed not much bigger than my desk also gets planted out with as many vegetables as I can fit in a small space.

However, it has been a bit of a disappointing year to this point.  With all the rain everything grew like crazy, but nothing ripened.  The squash were particularly disappointing as they kept rotting before they got to picking stage.  Likewise the black russian tomatoes had just sat disappointingly green on the vine, not doing a thing. 

But what a difference a week of sunshine can make!  Last night I went out intending to pick the few red cherry tomatoes I could see, only to find hiding beneath their giant leaves a veritable army of squash!  And next to them the tomatoes had suddenly coloured up too!  Even the cherry tomatoes were hiding their glory just waiting for a closer look.  There was so much that I was able to bring a massive container into the office to share with my colleagues.

I feel all proud of the efforts of my little garden!  Just imagine what we could all do if everyone turned over a bit of their garden to growing produce.

1 comment:

  1. Holy moly what a beautiful harvest! I think there is more sun on the way so I hope your veggies keep growing :)

    ReplyDelete