Thursday, July 29, 2010

Melody Gardot

I listen to all types of music. You probably aren't going to find any real gangster rap or death metal on my iPod, but pretty much everything else is there. However the thing I love the most is jazz.

I recently discovered Melody Gardot and I adore her music. She has a soft, husky voice, is a very talented composer and has the most amazing life story.

In 2003 she was riding her bike and was hit by a car. She had horrific injuries which still mean she walks with a cane and has to wear dark glasses because of a brain injury that makes her very light sensitive. One of the other side affects of the brain damage she suffered was difficulty with communication. Music therapy was prescribed for this and she began to sing. Prior to her accident she had been musical, but the jazz she has written, recorded and performed since is just amazing.

Today I discovered that her first record "Worrisome Heart" has been re-released, so I have a whole new bunch of her beautiful music to listen to.

If you like jazz, check her out. Her story is amazing and her music is just wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment