Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The first day of school

Yesterday was the first day of school for new kids, which means for 5 year olds their first day of primary school.  My radio station went along and interviewed the excited kids and nervous parents.

It was such a gorgeous story I couldn't help but smile as I drove along listening.  All these little kids being grown up now they are at "big school" and the parents equal parts nervous and proud as they watched them march off in, as the reporter described them, floppy hats so big their little faces were almost hidden and jumpers which would allow for many years growth.

At the office one of my colleagues had sent his daughter off for the first time, so naturally our talk turned to memories of our first day at school.  I can remember my Dad taking me in.  I remember sitting on the floor with so many other children.  I remember Elizabeth Andracio's french braided hair which I thought was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

In the photos I look tiny next to my giant backpack, with my school dress reaching my calves.  And around Australia those photos are being taken again.

There has been a lot of doom and gloom in the news recently, so it really was heartwarming to watch all those tiny excited people and remember what it was like for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment