Friday, February 11, 2011

Raspberry and custard filled brioche

I fell off the wagon today and landed at ... the Flute Bakery.

Oh how I love that place.  I'm thrilled it is out of my way, because if I'm ever in the vicinity in its limited opening hours I just cannot resist its Siren call.  Today is a grey, wet day, so dashing out of the rain and into its warm interior filled with the delicious scent of pastries of every description made it even more welcoming.

Once inside however, the decision making process needs to take place and believe me, it ain't no easy process.  There are pastries, macaroons, cakes and desserts that look more like a work of art than something you should eat, not to mention the variety of savoury pies, rolls and quiches.  I dithered for awhile, seriously considering filling my entire car with treats, but in the end I talked myself off the ledge and purchased just one thing - a raspberry and vanilla custard brioche.

Before I discovered the Flute, I had never come across the concept of a filled brioche.  For me, brioche was something you toasted succulent slices of and topped with jam, or made into french toast, or used as a base for Queen of Puddings.  But now a new world of possibility has opened up - the filled brioche.

Imagine the love child of a mini brioche and a jam donut - but instead of jam you have real raspberries, vanilla custard and a sprinkle of pistachios.  I cut it in half, intending on saving half for later in the day, but it was too good, I couldn't stop myself and I ate it all in one sitting.  Soooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment